Tuesday, October 30, 2012

THE SAFEST PLACE TO TREAT COSTUMED KIDS

 
LOOK NO FURTHER THAN YOUR LOCAL FIRE STATION FOR A GUARANTEED SAFE PLACE TO GO TRICK-OR-TREATING!
Many local fire stations open their doors every October and invite the public in for some spine tingling fun. These  family-friendly events are fit for little beggars and highly educational for souls of all ages.
As a young parent I recall the first time I almost failed in convincing my Pirate and Raggedy Ann that they would have fun trick-or-treating at the fire station. I was selling this as a SAFE PLACE  for them to go trick-or-treating.  They were instead more interested in knocking on doors down the block with all their friends. 
It haunts me to think I almost caved.  But since I insisted and won this dispute, we all benefited tremendously.  The lessons we learned all those years ago have kept us safer since! 
I am now a grandparent with an even deeper appreciation for these things.  Besides being a worry-free Halloween event, I know I will get vital information at a fire station open house.
Over the years I have been to many fire stations at different locations in Delaware County.  This year I went to two townships that have mastered the trick to scaring up huge crowds!  
I again witnessed the combined ‘Forces’ of safety service entities wearing their official uniforms conjuring respect from long lines of costumed kids. All the fairies & princesses, ghosts & goblins chomped happily on free hot dogs and popcorn. Candy and cookies sweetened even the witch faces, and, some lucky beggars bagged one of the Free Beanie Babies being handed out.
While everyone is being entertained with Halloween craft activities and games, they are also being exposed to massive doses of information that could  save their lives.

The Open House organizers in Genoa and Berlin townships where I attended this year, had summoned all the right key ingredients to inject emergency prevention knowledge into hundreds of vistors from nearby neighborhoods. 
It doesn’t take a fortune teller to predict with certainty that many people learned about important emergency resources during these events.  Some of them will find they need these resources in the future.

The threat of severe weather all weekend might have deterred a few people.  But I personally braved the chill on Saturday & Sunday, crashing in on the two fire stations back to back.

I made my traditional return visit to Genoa Township. As always I found the Maintenance Department’s parking garage was one of the most popular spots people were gathered. Volunteers were stationed all along the back wall, behind the Trick-or-Treat Village. They kept busy passing out suckers and tootsie rolls.

Meanwhile, a raging fire extinguishing demonstration heated crowds up outside, and, rows of fire engines and ambulances lured visiting children aboard to get acquainted.

It was awesome seeing some of the same law enforcement, water rescue and community welfare agencies eagerly serving additional members of the public on Sunday. 

Berlin Township 's community event was educational AND AGAIN another well disguised spook-tacular Halloween party!  It was an honor to see  public servants cooperatively handing out goodies to little people suited in Mickey Mouse attire.

Adults got armed with useful pamphlets on car seat safety and listened attentively to vendors sounding alarms about the dangers of texting and driving.

Part of the charm of these high caliber productions is the fact that they take the scare out of Halloween. But the best thing is that they teach people how to be safer all year round!

Friendly firefighters always impress me at these open houses. This year my innerds were heated up by the fiery hot stuffed jalapeno pepper I was served hot off the grill, offered by none other than a Berlin Township Trustee,  Tom D'Amico,  who proudly dressed the part of Grill Master during this years' event.

Both of these local townships spend a frightening amount of time and effort expanding the public’s knowledge of emergency services. They all deserve many thanks.



It was so assuring to know my one year old granddaughter was safe scavenging for her first Halloween treats.  Plus, this allowed her and thousands like her to become comfortable around men in uniform. The chance to hear emergency sirens in this non-threatening environment might make her less fearful if she is ever involved in an actual accident.  These are people she will know to trust in a horrifying situation, and, I can depend on her feeling at ease if they have to be called to come save her!

After a few hours of invading fire houses, I had a stuffed treat bag and a head full of tips and great advice that will help me protect myself and the lives of  those I love.






I believe in being a contributing member of society. My professional contributions are presently varied; assisting clients with real estate buying and selling transactions, as well as, performing current property value appraisals for the Delaware County Sheriff. I teach & enjoy exercise and I am a professionally certified fitness instructor at the Westerville Rec Center; I also love to write and blog! My goal is to continue making productive use of my former journalism background and public service skill by remaining active in the community. Prior expertise in zoning & development was gained working in local government. I wish to remain active in the planning arena for the rest of my life! I am always expanding on the knowledge I offer & always ready to put any of my professional skills to work for a new good cause. If you need dependable assistance- call me. I am available to be put to work immediately, so, please, feel free to get in touch with me at your earliest convenience! For Real Estate Help or Otherwise...call me. I look forward to joining you and taking care of delegated project needs. Thanks.
Need A Real Estate Check Up?
Contact me for a Healthy House Call & Professional Real Estate Consulting
Specializing in Site Acquisition; Utility & Infrastructure Assessment; Community Planning & Development; Land Use Research; Zoning Compliance; Foreclosure Mediation & Intervention; BPO Appraisal; Comparative Market Analysis. Provider of Expert Negotiation & Professional Representation for Home Buyers & Sellers!
Procure Expert Real Estate Knowledge!
Keller Williams Capital partners
100 East Wilson Bridge road
Worthington, Ohio 43085

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you are up to and the cool things happening in your part of town. I will show up ready to feature YOU next, if you alert me to the reasons other people should want to know about your business/event and/or upcoming community plans.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your opinions about this Blog. I look forward to hearing your ideas for improving the public's knowledge of the fun places and people I learn about in Central Ohio.