Saturday, October 27, 2012

Seasons Change Ohio Village


 
Fall arrived this past weekend right on cue and brought the colors of autumn to the trees in time to set the stage for a picture-perfect day at The Music & Arts Harvest Festival at Ohio Village, which was held on the grounds of the Ohio History Center on October 6.

Ohio Village was the ideal setting for my up close encounter with the first fall weekend of 2012.  This event gave me a virtual tour experience of a historical harvest celebration. I gained new knowledge about festive activities enjoyed during the fall season by some of Ohio’s early inhabitants.  

I spent the day taking a step back in time on a particularly gorgeous fall afternoon. I left with the distinct feeling I had experienced the joy of a harvest celebration exactly like the people who welcomed fall many years earlier.

Later this month I plan on going back to the Ohio Village for a whole different experience.  It will be a spooky trip down memory lane. The Ohio History Center kicks off their annual premier event called All Hollow’s Eve on October 13.

Every visit to Ohio Village results in a different firsthand view of what life was like in Ohio during the American Civil War.  The recent Harvest Festival event, as designed, shared the high value this historical population placed on fall festivities.

My leisure stroll of the 15 acre grounds encompassing this living history museum site brought me face-to-face with fall in present day, but, it had a special feeling amongst a setting that taught a lot about how the former residents of this recreated 19th Century Ohio Town embraced this change of seasons during their lifetimes. 

I have previously attended various different events at Ohio Village and experience something new every time. There are sixteen buildings, including, craft shops, residences, and offices; an entire working village is comprehensively outfitted with realism.

Depending on the time of year and theme of the event, there are always new encounters with different sights and sounds portraying the past life that was lived there. The fall season came to life with historical accuracy this time.

I like the fact that I get a different point-in-time taste of the past each time I visit. This was the first time I saw how beautiful fall looked when this was an actual active rural community and I was captivated by visions of people engaged in festive harvest celebrations. I sensed significance of the harvest season with a historical perspective, which impacted my own personal feelings.  Being historically connected and part of a traditional celebration of fall seemed very real that afternoon and will be remembered fondly.

As I was witnessing fall in present day, I felt the euphoria it brought as I was looking through the eyes of someone who lived in the 19th Century.  

Every visit to Ohio Village is a life like experience of community life in Ohio during the American Civil War.  I would highly recommend visiting this living history museum during the harvest celebration season as well as other times of the year when the scenes are different.

After this last encounter I will  feel something more meaningful when fall arrives in the future.  I will be able to think back on how I shared the values of Ohio’s earliest inhabitants and their enhanced appreciation of fall.

The rest of this month Ohio Village will be evoking very different feelings. There are upcoming Halloween events that will change the history learned there then. Scary stories about headless hauntings will be retold during these events.

Ohio Village typically draws its biggest crowds every October. The most popular annual signature event is All Hallow's Eve which is about to get started. This 1860s-style celebration of Halloween is reenacted complete with fortunetelling, costumed interpretations and a Grand Parade for the Dead.

Put this on your list of places to go see creepy roaming spirits this month and you can catch their production of Washington Irving's Legend of Sleepy Hollow!  Alll these event details are n the Ohio History Center’s website at: http://www.ohiohistory.org/programs--events/ohio-village/all-hallows-eve
 
I believe in being a contributing member of society. My professional contributions are presently varied; assisting clients with real estate buying and selling transactions, as well as, performing current property value appraisals for the Delaware County Sheriff. I teach & enjoy exercise and I am a professionally certified fitness instructor at the Westerville Rec Center; I also love to write and blog! My goal is to continue making productive use of my former journalism background and public service skill by remaining active in the community. Prior expertise in zoning & development was gained working in local government. I wish to remain active in the planning arena for the rest of my life! I am always expanding on the knowledge I offer & always ready to put any of my professional skills to work for a new good cause. If you need dependable assistance- call me. I am available to be put to work immediately, so, please, feel free to get in touch with me at your earliest convenience! For Real Estate Help or Otherwise...call me. I look forward to joining you and taking care of delegated project needs. Thanks.
Need A Real Estate Check Up?
Contact me for a Healthy House Call & Professional Real Estate Consulting
Specializing in Site Acquisition; Utility & Infrastructure Assessment; Community Planning & Development; Land Use Research; Zoning Compliance; Foreclosure Mediation & Intervention; BPO Appraisal; Comparative Market Analysis. Provider of Expert Negotiation & Professional Representation for Home Buyers & Sellers!
Leslie Schultz Warthman 614.769.3816
Procure Expert Real Estate Knowledge!
Keller Williams Capital partners
100 East Wilson Bridge road
Worthington, Ohio 43085

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you are up to and the cool things happening in your part of town. I will show up ready to feature YOU next, if you alert me to the reasons other people should want to know about your business/event and/or upcoming community plans.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your opinions about this Blog. I look forward to hearing your ideas for improving the public's knowledge of the fun places and people I learn about in Central Ohio.