Monday, November 12, 2012

SALUTE A VETERAN TODAY & EVERY DAY


STAND UP AND APPLAUD EVERY VETERAN
WHEN YOU SEE ONE
Because freedom Is Worth saluting
I attended a recent star-spangled patriotic event honoring veterans. I am so not a fan of war.
Browsing through personal memorabilia which belonged to military personnel from Ohio, including, uniforms, weapons, photos, maps, etc., left me envisioning the time and place these things had been used.  Imaginary scenes haunted me.  The possessors of these items might never have actually been in any real battles, but, some have and lived to tell about the horrors of war...

The thought of actual combat is frightening to me, to say the least.
Every Veterans Day we Americans pay tribute to our military might and the muscle that makes this country stand free. The evening of remembrance and recognition I attended served up all the red, white, and blue I needed, to rightly overcome the dark and dread-filled thoughts I encountered at this same ceremony.
I was one of the people in a crowd of maybe 200+ who stood at attention in the Grace Polaris Auditorium, alongside dozens of men and women in cleanly pressed uniforms representing each respective division of the military service. It was an overwhelmingly emotional couple of hours filled with music and audio-visual presentations, drama and personal testimonials, and, scrumptious apple pie for dessert which sweetly concluded the services.
I left uplifted; this pumped up my patriotic spirits for another year.
I felt truly honored, honoring those who put their lives on the line. It occurred to me as I sat and listened to several speakers, that tributes to soldiers should not be reduced to a once-a-year showing of support.
For all who fought for our freedom throughout history and every USA soldier who will fight for our country's liberties in the future, we Americans need to stand up and salute every single one of them every time we have an opportunity.
Yes; I mean we should all be doing things like cheering whenever we see a soldier in an airport; proudly paying these individuals tribute by walking up to them and saying 'thanks'; it means a lot to every man and woman who wears an American military service uniform, to know how much this country cares that they do what they do for US to claim our freedoms here in the U.S.!
I dealt with personal glimpses of battlefield bloodshed while the bandstand performed 40s-style toe-tapping music. During this recent pre-veterans day commencement I held my hand on my heart engulfed in thankfulness, as flags were waving. 

This event was prepared expertly. It provided a glimpse at over 200 years of American independence through music, media, AND an all-American apple pie reception afterward. It was good to be surrounded by a diverse group of Americans who all stood proudly honoring past veterans and current service personnel, and proclaiming to stand with the military families—those who wait behind and pray for the safe return of their loved ones.
One featured speaker, Major General Deborah A. Ashenhurst, Ohio'sAdjutant General, teared up as she spoke of some of her experiences. She is a member of the Governor's cabinet and is responsible for the command of the Ohio National Guard and the military readiness of the Ohio Militia (more than 17,000 personnel). Her years of enlisted service began in the Ohio National Guard in 1978. She had stories to tell that will bring tears to my eyes evermore in remembrance.

There is more than one way to honor our country's soldiers. Each and every one of them, especially, all those who have fallen fighting for freedom, deserve honor. It’s important to think of them as individuals and comprehend they have taken an oath like none other, which literally puts their country’s protection above their own lives.
 
Both active and retired soldiers live among us; every veteran you see state-side should be acknowledged for the service they do. Whether they help hurricane victims put lives back together, or, shoot a weapon in fierce battle-torn war zones…do not remain silent when you see them! Even the simplest gesture like a handshake will not be overlooked.
There is every reason to do more, to let the brave from sea to shinny sea know your appreciation. It is the military after all that preserves the lifestyle we live here in America and you and I should thank the establishment of these protective forces every day of our lives.

Don't be shy: Take a stand; Salute any soldier you come in contact with any time you do. They will be pleased. You are bound to feel the unwavering dedication that lies deep in a soldier's soul when eye contact is made and gratitude is voiced. Every one of our soldiers are important to the system that provides each of us greater security in this country!

PS:  I wish to make a special note about some of the pictures used in this blog post.  They are photos of military family members that I obtained from people I consider very special personal friends, the Engleharts & the Loars. God Bless you all and thank you! 


I believe in being a contributing member of society. My professional contributions are presently varied; assisting clients with real estate buying and selling transactions, as well as, performing current property value appraisals for the Delaware County Sheriff. I teach & enjoy exercise and I am a professionally certified fitness instructor at the Westerville Rec Center; I also love to write and blog! My goal is to continue making productive use of my former journalism background and public service skill by remaining active in the community. Prior expertise in zoning & development was gained working in local government. I wish to remain active in the planning arena for the rest of my life! I am always expanding on the knowledge I offer & always ready to put any of my professional skills to work for a new good cause. If you need dependable assistance- call me. I am available to be put to work immediately, so, please, feel free to get in touch with me at your earliest convenience! For Real Estate Help or Otherwise...call me. I look forward to joining you and taking care of delegated project needs. Thanks.
Need A Real Estate Check Up?
Contact me for a Healthy House Call & Professional Real Estate Consulting
Specializing in Site Acquisition; Utility & Infrastructure Assessment; Community Planning & Development; Land Use Research; Zoning Compliance; Foreclosure Mediation & Intervention; BPO Appraisal; Comparative Market Analysis. Provider of Expert Negotiation & Professional Representation for Home Buyers & Sellers!
Leslie Schultz Warthman 614.769.3816
Procure Expert Real Estate Knowledge!
Keller Williams Capital partners
100 East Wilson Bridge road
Worthington, Ohio 43085



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you are up to and the cool things happening in your part of town. I will show up ready to feature YOU next, if you alert me to the reasons other people should want to know about your business/event and/or upcoming community plans.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your opinions about this Blog. I look forward to hearing your ideas for improving the public's knowledge of the fun places and people I learn about in Central Ohio.