Saturday, October 27, 2012

FALL TIME FAVORITES


I heard the annual Oktoberfest Um-Pa Pas coming from Columbus’ German Village and just could not resist noticing all the other festivities that make October a time to get outside to enjoy fall foliage and so much more! The luring list of attractions added to my busy must-do list.  My favorite fall fun include the corn mazes I can master and after hour bon fire bonding with friends!
I am having real difficulty this year deciding what venue to visit! I know I will be indulging in several pumpkin picking play dates in order to multiply my pleasure!
It is fantastic to see so many pumpkin patches featuring full blown festivals. Children and adults of all ages are promised hours of family-friendly enjoyment! 

I could personally spend hours on a hay wagon crunching on kettle corn. It’s awesome running into neighbors loading the backs of their minivans with the fruits of this season's harvest. Many memories I cherish were made meandering a local farmer's field in years' past.  I always do some serious scouting for my perfect carving specimen before Halloween.
I have had many pumpkin pleasure visits at Freeman Farms in Galena; I stopped by this past weekend to initiate this season’s fun for me.  I was not surprised by the big turnout they already had.  I could not stay long, but, I did get to say hello to the owner, Bill Freeman, who was one of many workers making sure the flock of pumpkin pickers that day were all smiles.


Although today's visitors tote smart phones and other electronic devices for taking pictures, it was evident that good old fashioned fun of picking pumpkins got them to head to the farm.  Modern-day distractions were the farthest things on people’s  minds as they spent quality time enjoying the atmosphere at Freeman’s, which included face-to-face time with the petting zoo livestock .        

I also managed a quick visit to Sambuca's Italian Greenhouse on Saturday.  I was drawn there by the giant inflatable cat in front of their pumpkin display, visible from State Route 3.  They were in the middle of a fall festival of their own and I was offered a tour of their "Haunted Tunnel"... Beware!
The colorful mums and ginormous pimply gourds I got to see and photograph made up for the scare their mummy gave me!
 
Another very tempting Community Event I decided not to miss was this year's fourth annual Mosher Apple Butter Festival. 
I arrived as the apple press began dripping sweet liquid, which was also when it began to drizzle.  The event just got underway out on the grounds of McVay Elementary School in Westerville. 

Even in the rain others were arriving and there was a warming reception at the wood burning fireplace inside the log cabin, which is tucked into a gated preserve area of this school site; a fitting place to have the Apple Butter Festival event!

The demonstrations of apple-cider and apple-butter making continued under umbrellas held high. It was decided that it would be good-hearted to continue on with the day's plans in honor of Ned Mosher, the outdoorsman and Westerville City Schools teacher whose efforts led to moving and rebuilding the log cabin 30 years ago.  Mosher took his former students to the cabin to conduct science lessons. It’s been used ever since to teach about history of syrup-making in Ohio.
What I also learned about this original 1840 log cabin, was that it used to sit across the road from one of Westerville's more widely known Historical structures, the present Everal Barn at Heritage Park on Cleveland Avenue. Moving this smaller piece of Ohio history was done courtesy of the local Lion Club’s past "cabin raising" on one of their annual World Lion Club Service Days.

Other quick facts I discovered were that some of this log cabin's former owners deserve to be thanked for helping Otterbein College become the successful campus it is today. And, that another one of the cabin's former residents was the first African-American to graduate from high-school courses.

This years' Apple Butter Festival taught me about the hard working accomplishments of these special people.  It also supplied me with the taste of some ‘mm-good’ fresh apple-butter, which I will be spreading on my morning bagels and savoring in the days ahead.


I believe in being a contributing member of society. My professional contributions are presently varied; assisting clients with real estate buying and selling transactions, as well as, performing current property value appraisals for the Delaware County Sheriff. I teach & enjoy exercise and I am a professionally certified fitness instructor at the Westerville Rec Center; I also love to write and blog! My goal is to continue making productive use of my former journalism background and public service skill by remaining active in the community. Prior expertise in zoning & development was gained working in local government. I wish to remain active in the planning arena for the rest of my life! I am always expanding on the knowledge I offer & always ready to put any of my professional skills to work for a new good cause. If you need dependable assistance- call me. I am available to be put to work immediately, so, please, feel free to get in touch with me at your earliest convenience! For Real Estate Help or Otherwise...call me. I look forward to joining you and taking care of delegated project needs. Thanks.
Need A Real Estate Check Up?
Contact me for a Healthy House Call & Professional Real Estate Consulting
Specializing in Site Acquisition; Utility & Infrastructure Assessment; Community Planning & Development; Land Use Research; Zoning Compliance; Foreclosure Mediation & Intervention; BPO Appraisal; Comparative Market Analysis. Provider of Expert Negotiation & Professional Representation for Home Buyers & Sellers!
Procure Expert Real Estate Knowledge!
Keller Williams Capital partners
100 East Wilson Bridge road
Worthington, Ohio 43085



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you are up to and the cool things happening in your part of town. I will show up ready to feature YOU next, if you alert me to the reasons other people should want to know about your business/event and/or upcoming community plans.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and share your opinions about this Blog. I look forward to hearing your ideas for improving the public's knowledge of the fun places and people I learn about in Central Ohio.